Monday, April 14, 2008

Information 911: Compentencies for 21st Century Library Services

I have to say if there I could only choose one session I wanted to do in the building This is the One!

Talk was given by Traci Hall of Domincan University.

This was about diversity. The diversity of population and the diversity of skill sets that we need to perform our jobs in the future.

She talked of the Double Click- where we lock both car doors as approach a situation we are not comfortable in. When I was younger we locke all our car doors as we approached the housing projects- essentially we made a judgement before we even knew the people who lived there.

Libraries everywhere are coping with change because the World is Global.
If the community is not diverse, it is inuslated. That can be a good economic indicator.

Library without walls- we need to be embedded in the community.

If your web site/ printed material etc is English only you knock out a whole population.

She also thinks the Reference Desk should be blown up. I think other sessions would have argued with her about that.
STOP Sitting down! The people that approach your desk are standing, you should stand.

We can be gate openers or gate Closers!

What barriers do we put up?

She did a diversity walk- she asked 15 people to stand at the side of the room- example of the questions
How many of you did not worry about another person's care (kids,parent) when you left for work?
Does 80% of your library collection reflect your diversity?
How many have and MLS?
Does 80% of your library staff reflect your diversity?
She asked about 10 questions and we realized that not everyone can be included but we can plan according.

A recommendation was to look at population figures. For example- check the % of population that is elderly and have that percentage reflect the amount of Large Print that is purchased.

24% in the country have a BA. Soon the economy will be so bad that it will take 8 years to finish college. College is not the path that everyone takes. There are Alternative Tracks. We need to be inclusive to everyone.

There is a language insularity. The young people are the new Sensualists.
They respond more to the senses. They are going to react more to touch and empathy. They are also coming to us as navigators.
We need the ability to serve a diverse community.
Become Customer Centered Environment.

She said her handouts will be online but I haven't been able to find them. As soon as I do I will place a link.

I found it and have downloaded a copy. Here is the link-

No comments: